23 February 2009

The gowns of the 2009 Oscars


Hey Zephyr!
I forgot how much fun watching the Academy Awards red carpet is - I felt happy to the core.
There were so many mistake gowns - Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Biel, Amanda Seyfreid, to name a few - but there were some beautiful dresses too. And as a lot of them were already in white, I could indulge my wedding fantasies that much more easily this year!

Before I get into my faves, let me mention my least faves:
poor Amy Adams looked plain and terrible and just plain terrible.
Angelina Jolie, well she somehow turned smugness into a fabric, black of course, had a dress made, and wore it with emerald earrings. She looked sensational but man was it boring.
Angelina, yes, you are queen of many things, but if you think you are so totally awesome in black, if you sooo dont care, then why even be there? Skip the red carpet!
(Ironically, Jennifer Aniston did skip the red carpet, and due to a friendly and positive glow, she looked better than Ange without even trying.)

Ok, I'm done, here are my top 5... +1 (pics are from JustJared and smh)

5. Miley Cyrus - let this dress be a lesson to all, from the bodice to the skirt, the FIT was perfect.

4. Anne Hathaway - tragic eye makeup, but shimmering pailettes was a stroke of genius.

3. Freida Pinto - the most beautiful attendee of the night, in Galliano with an Indian sari feel.

2. Taraji Henson - Oh, the delicate pale pink layers! I bet it was even more beautiful in person.

1. Marisa Tomei - Power + Princess. Possibly the best I have ever seen at the AAs. LOVE.


Honourable Mention:
Demi Moore, whose dress never saw the red carpet but helped her host an after-party.
How how how does she look so incredible?



















How about you Zeph?
And did you laugh your head off at the fashion disasters?
xxFeather


Hey Feather,

Oscar time again...oh we love it! So much genius, and so much horror all in the one place! All the better for us to debate and rate.

Before seeing your post F, I feared our list would be identical or close to it - and where is the fun in that? You and I have such similar tastes...but then there are the moments we see things very differently. Luckily, because the dresses were so varied this year, so are our lists.

First the bad stuff out of the way.
I totally agree - Angelina + black (again) = boring.
Loved Winslet's hair, hated the dress. Reese Witherspoon - really confusingly bad dress. Miley Cyrus, great fit yes but I loathed the dress. And Nicole Kidman...wtf?

And now to my faves..
Side note, I had issues with much of the hair and make up, so my decisions were based on the dress alone.


5. Sarah Jessica Parker. I loved this gown on her. It's a Barbie/princess look for grown ups.




4. Natalie Portman. Her lack of curves and the boyish hair don't make the dress pop at first glance, but the colour and the detail is beautiful.



3. Evan Rachel Wood. I think this is a sophisticated dress. Love the colour. This is what a Hollywood starlet should look like.




2. Taraji Hensen. There is a reason we both have this dress on our list. Can't fault it.



1. Penelope Cruz. This one didn't grab me at first, but the more I look at it, the more I love it. Simple, but stunning.


xx Zephyr

No comments: